Welcome to Wonder First Aid Station!
We’re so glad you’ve joined us at the area of Camp Wonderopolis focused on health and wellness! We’ve got a lot to WONDER about, from the skin on your back to the air in your lungs, so c’mon and jump right in!
Health and wellness encompass so much WONDER! Your body does incredible things everyday, many without you even having to think about them! There are lots of people focused on keeping our bodies in tip-top shape, like doctors, nurses, physical therapists, and nutritionists, to name a few!
Why Does Your Skin Get Wrinkly in Water? Why Do Mosquito Bites Itch? Examine these Wonders and more at the Wonder First Aid Station!
Doctors use different tools to assess their patients' health, including a stethoscope to listen to the heart, lungs, and more. Practice your medical skills by creating your own stethoscope!
Cut off the end of a balloon and pull the balloon over one end of a paper towel roll. Make sure the balloon is stretched tightly over the end of the paper towel roll.
Stick the balloon-end of the tube up to your friend's heart and listen with your ear on the open end of the tube.
Count the number of beats per 15 seconds and then multiply that number by 4 to learn the number of beats per minute. You can also listen to your friend's breathing and gurgling stomach!
Wonderuption: What do you think would happen to your heartbeat if you ran in place for 30 seconds?
Why does that happen?
The tube and balloon work to amplify small sounds from the body. The sounds travel through the tube and into your ears.
Health and Wellness
Preschool - Age 8
- The Monster Health Book: A Guide to Eating Healthy, Being Active, and Feeling Great for Monsters and Kids by Edward Miller
- Doctors by Cari Meister
- Healthy Me: Fun Ways to Develop Good Health and Safety Habits: Activities for Ages 5-8 by Michelle O'rien Palmer
- Don't Let the Barber Pull Your Teeth: Could You Survive Medieval Medicine by Carmen Bredeson
- Gumbrella by Barry Root
- Island Baby by Holly Keller
- Ms. Leaky is Freaky by Dan Gutman
- Willow King by Chris Platt
Ages 9 - 13
- The Omnivore's Delimma: The Secrets Behind What You Eat by Richie Chevat
- EyeWitness Book: Medicine by Steve Parker
- Alice in Lace by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Ages 14 and up
- You, The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide To A Healthy Body and Happy Life by Michael Roizen
- Chocolate: Sweet Science & Dark Secrets of the World's Favorite Treat by Kay Frydenborg
- Wither by Lauren DeStefano
- 100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith